Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Antiques and Biscuits? Yes, please!!!

Over the last 4 years, I have spent my time teaching Math to 3rd graders. Some people ask, "so you always wanted to be a teacher?" The short answer is...NO. :) I was not the child who grew up playing school with my sisters. Instead, I found sticks to make forts or my Daddy's tools to play with, my favorite being an old table vice grip. It was perfect to hold random objects for me to hammer, paint, or redesign. But, here I am...a Masters degree holding educator and this is how it all came to be...

After graduating from The University of Georgia (Go Dawgs!) I started working for a local church in hopes of opening a full day preschool for them. This is what I planned to do with my Child and Family Development degree one day. As I realized that this plan was not what it first seemed to be, I took the GACE (certification test for educators) after it was suggested by a close friend. My thoughts were that a family would appreciate that the owner/director of a preschool was a certified teacher. Surprisingly enough, I passed the test and quit my job at the church. Now, what to do, what to do?!?! I got it...GO TO ITALY FOR 10 DAYS!! And that's exactly what I did. I had dinner with my older sister, Kelley, after I got back and I told her with all seriousness, "I am moving to Italy for one year." She kindly said I was crazy and explained the importance of a Master level degree. This coming from the girl who is currently finishing a Doctorate. :) She said, "Get your degree and then you can go." I look at her as if to say, "Oh, you're gonna let me go then." I didn't like the ultimatum, but I knew she was right. I still had my reservations, but figured I would think on it throughout the summer. I was getting ready to go back to Athens, and then it happened...I was called in for an interview at Ethel Kight, an Elementary School. I explained that I was in shorts, a t-shirt, and flip flops with no resume and I was heading out of town. I was urged to come in and that's how it happened. I was hired and in a whirlwind of about two weeks, I had to figure out how to teach, decorate a classroom, and learn to set an alarm clock. After a few months, I began my Master's degree like Kelley said to do. After my first year of teaching, I had seen kids get sick from all ends, cut out more letters, and met with more parents than I ever imagined possible. On the last day, I was informed that I would now be a 3rd grade math teacher. Wahooo....Math is for me! :) I thought this may be the perfect place, maybe I was cut out to be a teacher. Words will never be able to express the highs and lows of being in a classroom full of 8 and 9 year-olds. I will save those stories for later. Last month, I finished my Master's degree in Elementary Education and the only thing I want to do is go antique shopping with my extra cash! :)

So, that's what I do and here is my plan for the future...I want to open a small restaurant with a simple organic menu that is decorated with antiques and things that I make to sell. In my short 26 years of living, I have never been this excited about anything work related. I am consumed by the thought of decorating the place and filling it with the things that make me happy...antiques, food, and people! I have talked with my Daddy, who I turn to for all important decisions. With my fingers crossed, I waited for his response on the other end of the phone. He was so supportive and has even begun collecting things for me to use. LOVE HIM!!! That's it...that's as far as I have planned for now. The next step, choosing a name and perfecting my Grandmother's biscuit recipe!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment